Page 2: Diverse clubs rebrand their name

Sara Collins

DHS has an assortment of clubs. From Fishing to Dungeon and Dragons, each has their own uniqueness and shines a light on their own speciality.

Two of the clubs have decided to shine a little brighter this year so let’s give them the spotlight. 

The Civics Club (formerly DHS Dems)  and the Diversity Club (formerly Gay Straight Alliance) both debuted new club names this year and are hoping for  big changes within the school, and clubs, to follow.

“One thing we hope will come about with this name change is a greater awareness that Derby is not really just a white school, if that makes sense. The diversity is growing in a number of ways, and we want to make a warm culture and a welcoming culture at the school,” diversity club co-sponsor Nathan Whitman said.

For both clubs, the idea of a name change got brought up late last school year.

“The student who originally established the club in 2018 wanted to create a chapter of the High School Democrats of America at Derby High School. In doing so, the name for the club would naturally be DHS Dems,” Civics Club sponsor Emily Williams said. “This past spring of 2022, when a new group of students were elected to the leadership positions, there was discussion about changing the club name as the focus had shifted.”

Civics Club hopes for students to become more civically active, even if they aren’t politically active.

The club is focusing more on community service and civic engagement rather than political party specifics.

“(Last year’s club members) knew there was a need and they wanted to create a place for everyone, that way students who maybe aren’t always celebrated, whose cultures aren’t always celebrated, everyone can be celebrated and feel welcome.” Whitman said.

Students in the clubs are noticing the impact as more members have joined and there’s a growing number of students talking about the clubs.

Both clubs are also changing things within their meetings to accommodate the name change.

Diversity Club has two co-sponsors – Whitman and Alexis Golden – and both are assigned to their respective sides of the club, the GSA side and the multicultural side. So both are equally heard.