Boys soccer beats Salina South in overtime

Cooper Chadwick, Content Editor

In an overtime thriller, the boys soccer team pulled out a tight 2-1 win over Salina South on Tuesday. 

The Panthers controlled the first 15 minutes of the game and in that span, senior foregin exchange student Marc Turbosh scored a quick goal off the pass of sophomore Angel Vielmas for the 1-0 lead. 

Salina South (7-8)  didn’t roll over, though. The Cougars fought back right away, controlling much of the rest of the first half with multiple chances on goal that they just couldn’t finish against Derby goalkeeper Ethan Young.

Part of the Panthers’ problems with controlling the ball stemmed from the absence of two starting midfielders – junior Collin Meyer was sick and freshman Angel Campos had an injured foot.

The second half wasn’t much different. While the Panthers controlled the first couple minutes, Salina South possessed around Derby but didn’t get near as many chances as the first half.

The missed chances didn’t matter – Salina South finished one late in the second half to tie up the game 1-1 in the final minutes of regulation.

The Panthers, going into overtime for the second time this season, knew what they had to do. And they did it with less than five minutes remaining when junior Riley Beasley whipped a ball into the box to find the head of teammate sophomore Leo Fernandez. 

The Panthers are 11-4 and finish their season on Thursday at Campus.