Summer is over

Freshmen orientation, first day of school set to start

Promise Asher

As high school students spend their summer relaxing in front of the TV, binge-watching their favorite series until the crack of dawn, they prepare for school to soon begin.

“My favorite part of the first day of school is seeing all my friends and being able to talk to all of them. Also (to) know that football season is finally here,” sophomore Aaron Larson said.

Students of different grades and involved in various activities try to make the best of the upcoming school year by noting the benefits of getting back into the new routine.

“I am prepared for the first day of school and my routine won’t change much because of football every morning. The only change I would have is school all day, and I am prepared for that,” Larson added.

For seniors like Brooke Prunier, the last first day of school is bittersweet.

“Don’t take it for granted; it goes by fast,”  Prunier said.

There are many different words of advice that returning students of Derby High have to offer to incoming freshmen along with those new to the district.

“Not all upperclassmen are mean and out to get you. Don’t be scared to ask for help,” junior Emily McKee said. “And the friends you start out with might not necessarily be the ones you end with, so just be yourself and the real ones will hang around.”

Larson added: “Take academics seriously, get involved in as much as you can and enjoy the high school experience.”