Lewis, Jones chosen for SCKMEA jazz band

Chloe Brown

Several Derby jazz band members auditioned for the South Central Kansas Music Educators Association’s high school jazz band on Oct. 4. Seniors Joel Lewis and Jonathan Jones were chosen to join the group.

Only 19 students were accepted into the jazz band with nine alternates, one for each instrument. Lewis auditioned on the tenor saxophone in 2016 but wasn’t chosen.

“I was quite unsure of whether or not I would make the band,” Lewis said. “Only two tenor saxophones make the band. The competition for those two spots is intense.”

This was Jones’ first year auditioning.

“I honestly went in thinking I wasn’t going to make it,” Jones said. “The nerves didn’t hit in until I got into the room and realized it was just me and the judge. And after I felt good about half the audition; the last bit wasn’t as great as I wanted it to be.”

Both are excited for the group’s performance at Andover Central High School on Nov. 4.

“I think performing will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, seeing as I’ve never performed jazz at this level,” Jones said. “I joined sophomore year because we only had one drummer, and it’s slowly became part of my life.”

Lewis added: “I think it is going to be an amazing experience. I have never played with a group with as much skill as I believe that this group will have. The passion and dedication to the music that is required to play in this group will show in our playing. I honestly can’t wait to get on the band stage and perform.”