Q&A with the Derby High front-office staff

Stephen Vanderhoff

What do you have to do when you come to work every day, and what is your favorite thing you have to do?

Ann Roberts: “I am the first who gets here every day. I have to call the subs if they are needed to cover a teacher. I have to answer the phones, approve time sheets. I have to wait for the mail to come and then put it all away. My favorite thing to do is talking to people on the phones.”

Kelly Watkins: “I am the registrar. I have to enroll new students and input a lot of grades for all of the high school students who are taking college classes. I order the diplomas. And I have to make sure the teachers put up the grades for their students. My favorite thing is getting to work and talk with the other ladies in the office.”

Gail Svymbersky: “I am Principal (Tim) Hamblin’s secretary. I take phone calls. I give teachers keys who need them for their room. I chase down kids who didn’t sign papers that they need to. My favorite thing is getting to meet the new students and getting to interact with them.”

Brenda Jacobs: “I do all of the ordering for the school. I take phone calls and help wherever is needed. I am Mr. Swearingen’s secretary, and (I) help him. My favorite thing is just getting to come to work and work with these ladies.”