Derby at Carroll: A matchup of two of the area’s best teams

By Owen Berk
Panther’s Tale

Week Five of Panther football brings the most anticipated game of the season against the Bishop Carroll Golden Eagles tonight.

Bishop Carroll, which has won three straight since losing its opener to Wichita Northwest, is ranked No. 4 in 5A. The Eagles face the kings of 6A, Derby, which is undefeated at 4-0 and ranked No. 1 overall.

Derby has won two titles in the past three years, while Carroll has played in three straight Class 5A title games and won twice.

The Panthers are coming off a win over its bitter rival, the Hutchinson Salthawks. They won 46-20 and had to score 21 unanswered to pull away.

Derby will continue to look for dominating play from its defense and versatility from its offense.

“They have a really good running back and a couple good receivers. They like running a lot of trick plays, so it’s all about staying focused,” senior Braden Richardson said.

The Panthers plan to rush Carroll quarterback Braden Howell early and often and will use a lot of blitzes to confuse the Golden Eagles’ offensive line.

Derby’s offense used one of its hidden weapons to dismantle the Salthawk defense last week. Junior wide receiver Michael Littleton was vital in the Panthers win with eight receptions, 83 receiving yards and three touchdowns as Hutchinson keyed on seniors Kenyon Tabor and Kai Lemons.

Littleton likely will continue to have an increased role, but also look for Tabor and Lemons to make their presence felt.

Don’t forget the always shifty combination of senior quarterback Dan Dawdy and junior running back Brody Kooser. They always find a way to leave their mark on the game.