Coffey teaches, builds relationships with Derby students

EllieAna Hale

Freshman EllieAna Hale, a 21st Century Journalism student, wrote this story as part of her final project.

Students spend 1,001 hours with their teachers every year.

That is days of lecturing, teaching, and building relationships with their students. Minutes of sharpening pencils, erasing mistakes, and grading with a red pen.

But what do they know about a teacher’s life?

Do they know their teachers favorite color or their favorite animal? Do they know if they no kids or three?

A teacher is the key to who a person is. A child will walk in like a mystery box with puzzle pieces hiding inside. Some of the pieces may be broken, lost, or hidden.

But a teacher can somehow find what has been lost or fix what has been broken and create a vision for potential greatness for the student.

Emily Coffey is a prime example of this definition, but with a twist.

Coffey is a military wife for her husband Jason Coffey.

Ready to leave at a moments notice, set to vacate all the memories behind.

“I think I’ve really gotten used to the idea of going with the flow,” Coffey said, “and understanding that life is spontaneous and you never know what’s going to happen.”

She is also an English teacher at Derby High School.

Ready to leave books, quotes, and Edgar Allen Poe stories behind to stand strong and tall beside her husband.

“It’s that feeling of not being able to plant my roots anywhere, and allowing me to get to know my students for three to four years

Carrying her courage, faith, and nobility upon her shoulders. Coffey is a hero to her students as well. She is a quiet hero who does not march into war.

“She was the best teacher I ever had, she inspired me to keep writing my book,” freshman Makenna Cash, one of Coffey’s students, said.

Makes her students feel as though their writing matter in the world they call home.

“If I ever needed anything, no matter what it is, she will be there and help me.” Dani Wheeler, also one of Coffey’s students said.

But now, Coffey must move on. It is her time to leave Derby High and her temporary home to find a new sanctuary.

In 10 weeks, Seattle will become the next push pin on the map, added to the many.

“It was extremely hard for me to leave the other school, but with Jason being in the military it gives me the chance to teach at so many different schools,” said Coffey, “You get to deal with diverse situations and diverse people

She will continue to teaching her students with passion and joy. Finding more missing puzzle pieces and repairing what has been broken.