Archer likely out for season after injury in Newton victory

Kiley Hale, Photo Editor

Derby was leading host Newton 49-7 when junior Daniel Archer went down. The student section quieted, waiting.

“He was laying face down in pain, so I knew it had to be an injury. Then I walked onto the field and everyone said it was his foot was hurt bad,” senior Bryce Westmoreland said..

People thought that Archer, a key member of the defensive line, had dislocated his ankle like Isaac Keener did last year, but this was much worse.

During the play Archer’s left leg was caught and he went down — his fibula was fractured in several places and his tibia was shattered.

“There was a big pop, then my bone kept popping as I went to the sideline,” Archer said. “… At first I was just in shock but after a second it really started to hurt.”

Archer said he will have surgery on Monday, getting a rod inserted into his bone with screws on the top and bottom of the bone as well.

Will he be back?

“Right now they’re thinking I’ll be out for the season,” Archer said.

His injury sparked social media shoutouts.

“Prayers up for you @danarcher50 godspeed brother! We’re behind you the whole way through this!” senior Dax Benway wrote on Twitter.

“Thanks bro! I’ll be fine, go get a ring for me,” Archer replied.

Archer’s positivity is contagious.

“There’s nothing we can do but just be there for him,” senior Brady Key said. “Dan is strong and when he is able to come back to school, he’ll show up to zero-hour and practice. Just take mental reps. Honestly, he’ll probably help coach up his backup.”