Mason, Unkel named National Merit Semifinalists

Chloe Brown, Design Editor

Seniors Katrina Mason and Malayna Unkel were named National Merit Semifinalists on Sept. 12.

“I was nervous about it after I took it. I didn’t have much reassurance that I was going to get it,” Unkel said. “I was kind of expected to, but I myself didn’t think I was going to get it, so it was a surprise — a happy surprise.”

Mason also did not expect to qualify until she saw her test scores.

“I didn’t expect to be a National Merit Semifinalist when I took the PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test), but after seeing my scores I expected it,” Mason said. “My (National Merit Scholarship Corporation) Index was well above the cutoff in previous years, so I figured I would qualify.”

To become a National Merit Semifinalist, students take the PSAT their junior year. Only the top 0.5 percent in Kansas receive this honor.

“It’s a cool feeling to know that you’ve actually done something that’s a big deal,” Unkel said.

Mason added: “Every one of my teachers congratulated me, and suddenly a majority of administration knew my face and name and congratulated me.”

To become a National Merit Finalist, Mason and Unkel will complete an application process that includes writing an essay and showing record of extracurricular activities.

Mason is on the varsity tennis team, is part of National Honor Society, involved in COACHES, plays violin in Philharmonic Orchestra and has worked as a tutor and tennis coach.

Unkel, who is in Madrigals and Philharmonic choir and a student accompanist for both choirs, is part of National Honor Society, Chick-fil-A Leadership Academy, volunteers at nursing homes and works at Chick-fil-A.

Mason’s top pick for in-state colleges is Kansas State.

“As for out of state, I like to dream about going somewhere like Yale, (the University of) Chicago, or Stanford,” Mason said.

She plans to pursue a degree in psychology to become an Industrial and organizational psychologist.

Unkel’s top choice is Stanford, while Oklahoma is her second choice. She is also considering John Hopkins and North Carolina.

“Just having that title is a scholarship in itself,” Unkel said. “You’re getting really good scholarships anywhere you want to go.”

Derby recognized their accomplishments on social media and on the sign at the front entrance. They will also update the wall of academic achievement.