New students, teachers adjust to Derby High

Jordan Cornell

This story was printed in the September 26 issue of the Panther’s Tale

Derby High has had a lot of changes with the new school year — new rules, new teachers, new students.

Senior Ashlyn Dougherty is new to Derby.

“It kind of sucks being a new senior, but the people here are nice, so I’m getting used to it,” Dougherty wrote in a text.  

Dougherty’s previous school had grades fourth through 12th, and still didn’t come close to Derby’s 2,000 students.

“Adjusting here is a bit of a change because of how big the school is and how many people there are,” Dougherty said. “… I really like Derby so far. There’s so much more to do here than what I’m used to.”

Austin Wuthrich is a new teacher.

“It’s been really good actually. There’s been a lot of teachers that have been extremely helpful, the (administrators) have been really helpful, and the department I’m in — the Social Studies department — has been really good about answering any questions I have,” said Wuthrich, who has been teaching for 11 years.

And it’s been smoother than he expected.

“I was really worried because I was worried about a new job and coaching football at the same time,” he said. “But it’s actually been a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be because of the help of the faculty.”

Mitchell Pontious is also a new teacher.

“It’s been really good,” he said. “I feel like the kids have been awesome, the administration has been awesome. The staff that I work with have taken care of me in the geography and reality department, as well, so it’s been a really smooth transition.”

Pontious, who is married to teacher Gretchen Pontious, has also taught at the elementary and middle school level.

“I was super excited to come, so I wouldn’t say it’s better than I expected, but it’s definitely met every expectation that i have,” he said. “The biggest difference for me is the teaching blocks because you got to have two lessons or multiple lessons prepared. Then of course just teaching older kids you can go deeper and have better conversation. “

Senior Maria Magi is a foreign exchange student from the south side of Norway.

“At first it was really weird and I got homesick a lot, but now I really like it because the school spirit here is something else and the school generally is really different from back home,” Magi said.

“… I maybe like the school system better, but I’m not sure. I like it here but sometimes I miss home, but sometimes I don’t.”

Magi will graduate in May.

She said that going to one of Derby’s football games “was just like in the movies.”