The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Winter Sports

Winter sports just began and are off to a good start. These sports are boys and girls basketball, wrestling, boys swimming, and bowling.

The boy’s basketball team had their first game Nov. 30, 2012 the team came out strong. They worked together to get the ball up and down the court.

“The relationship between me and my teammates is like a family,” senior Josiah Ray said.
“We practice about two hours a day and sometimes even on Saturdays we are always working together to make the team better. I hope this season turns out to be a really good one.”

The girl’s basketball team also had their first game on Nov. 30, 2012. That result didn’t turn out the way we all hoped, but they didn’t give up.

“I want this season to be better than the last few seasons,” senior Kim Carbonell said. “I started playing basketball about eight years ago and it has taught me character, time management and to work with others like a family.”

Wrestling practices every day, with the wrestlers working on losing weight and maintaining their bodies.

“Wrestling is a very hard sport to do. You have to devote a lot of your life into it,” senior Benjamin Becker said. “I love wrestling, I don’t really know why. I’m just my happiest on the mat. I’ve learned a lot of self control through the eleven years I’ve been wrestling, and the relationship between the team mates and the coach is a lot different than other sports. I can call my coach at almost any time of the day when I need to lose weight for my upcoming match and he will come over and help me.”

The boy’s swimming team had their first competition on Nov. 27, 2012. They practice everyday after school for two hours at the Derby Recreation Center.

“This is my first year swimming, and I’ve done better than I thought I would.” freshman Jacob Prickett. “My friends got me interested so I tried out. It’s a good workout and it has brought me closer to other guys in this school.”

The bowling team had their tryouts this week. Come back for more updates on how these teams are doing through out their seasons.

-Kayla Smith