The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Thin ice ahead

As any former scholar could tell you, with schooling comes responsibility and with responsibility comes taking chances. Of course, with the semester nearing an end, that is what students at Derby High have to do right now. Many say that an individual in school has to tread onto thin ice.
With taking chances, sure the outcome may not be what you have wanted, but in the end, things usually work out. Every day, students have to hope for good results when they have to walk on that thin ice to become successful in school.
Any student can remember the feeling of having to cram for that science test or study for that math final; it is a common feeling among students and graduates to have to go that extra mile, or to do something they are not sure about, so they can get that positive outcome.
It is not only in school that you are forced to take these chances, but in life you are too. At work, people have to go out on a limb just to show their boss they are dedicated to get that promotion or higher achievement, and that is how it is in school as well. Students always have to show their dedication for a class to their professors; some do it for that “teacher’s pet” spot or to kiss up, but others do it so the teacher knows they really care about the class and are deserving of better opportunities.
Doing these things is not always easy, but when you do it right and plan, your repayment is wealthy. High school is a learning stage in life and should be taken with all seriousness; it shows you are mature enough for college when you have these accomplishments to be proud of. Trial and error is a good way to go about problems or taking chances, you never really know if what you are doing will work until you try it.
A majority of students hope that after the week of finals, they can finally start to calm down from taking finals and begin to relax and think about how they can make their next semester even better than the one before.
-Mercedes Shuff