The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Looking to connect? Join Derby’s yearbook staff

By Alyssa Chenoweth

Panther’s Tale

Do you enjoy writing, taking pictures or designing? Are you creative or love getting into the middle of the juice?

Then why not give yearbook or newspaper a try for the 2017-2018 school year?

Between building positive relationships, getting a behind-the-scenes view on the things going on in the high school, and getting to know the people in the school, you get an experience like no other.

The yearbook staff spends all year creating a yearbook full of memories. These yearbooks will stick with Derby students throughout the rest of their lives. As adults, students may show their children the memories the book entails.

“Although there are a magnitude of reasons people should join yearbook, I can narrow it down to three reasons,” sophomore Promise Asher said. “One you, learn a lot more about your school, and you feel more involved and like you belong.”

Yearbook is a family of students that work together to create something amazing for the

Derby High community.

“Number 2 is it creates a network of people that you can rely on and work with,” Asher said. “Number 3 is you get to create something that people will carry them forever.”

Sophomore Regina Waugh added: “I think people should join yearbook because it is a great way to make new friends, and you just have connections to everyone in the school. You can’t go a day walking the halls without saying ‘hi’ to someone because you know that many people.”

If you have any desire or passion for writing stories, taking photos or designing yearbook could be a positive experience for you.

“Yearbook has made me feel like my writing has a purpose and it has strengthened my writing even in other classes,” Asher said.

If any of this sounds appealing to sign up for yearbook or newspaper.