The flu at DHS

The new year started with a boom… a boom of H3N2 (influenza). The 2013 virus is still affecting people and has been for quite some time now. At this point, 112 million Americans have been vaccinated against flu this season. The vaccine is about 60 percent effective, which means 40 percent of people will still get the flu. The flu is on a constant peak, and so far has no drop. Hospitals are having to order more beds, IV poles, and other extra supplies. Some patients are having to be placed in hospital hallways from the overflow. In the United States, the flu has a widespread to 47 of the states.

There are different forms of the flu, varying from symptoms like a cold to excessive vomiting. This flu is very tricky to treat due to all of the different forms and symptoms it can have. It is still possible to get the vaccine in your nose, but the shot is more likely to cure your symptoms faster. Here are a list of starting symptoms the flu can cause:

• Dry cough
  • Runny nose
  • Headache
  • Sneezing
  • Full body aches
  • Sore throat
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue

Currently at DHS, schedule changes have been put off for awhile due to counselors being gone. On Jan. 2013, 15 teachers were absent due to the flu. Even more students were absent, 339 out of 1829 were gone. For teachers that are present, the increasing absences of their students is frustrating because the missing students are already getting behind on lessons and homework.

The flu is definitely not a good way to start off a new year. Now is a good time to be antisocial and to stay inside, out of the cold weather. Here are a list of ways to stay away from the flu:

• Wash your hands
  • Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing with your inner elbow
  • Stay away from sick people
  • Stay indoors
  • Eat healthily
  • Be careful touching door handles or other things germs may be on
  • Stay away from crowded areas
  • Don’t eat or drink after other people
  • Keep up on current vaccinations

-Merecedes Shuff