Until I See You Again

By Cole Drees

1,300 balloons soared into the air at 7:20 p.m. in the Derby Panther Stadium on August 25th. In January of 2013 Derby lost a student to an unfortunate car crash. All the balloons were launched in memory of Braxton Wells Kooser, the victim of the accident. When you entered the Panther Stadium you got a purple balloon, Kooser’s favorite color. On the balloon people wrote notes to Kooser in hopes he would see them.

All the balloons were donated to Alana and Rob Kooser, the mother and father of Braxton. In addition, the Panther club donated 1,500 dollars to the Kooser family.

“We have a deeper love affair with the city,” Rob states after the event. Prior to the public balloon launch at the stadium, they also held a private balloon launch with their family.

“Braxton was an amazing son, brother and friend,” Rob says.

Close friend of Kooser’s, sophomore Carley Campbell, says “Everyone needs a friend that holds you accountable for your actions.” For her, that friend was Braxton.

Campbell felt Braxton’s death showed who really cared about her. Sophomore Garret Xanders, states

“It made me so much closer to my friends.”

Sophomore Avery Noel, felt that it was a celebration for his arrival in heaven. Sophomore Hannah Steinert, hopes Braxton will receive the notes somewhere in heaven. The amount of support sent to the family was overwhelmingly great. His friends and family were appreciative of the support and donations.

Balloon_LaunchBallon Launch 11

Photos by Myah Coberly and Noah Moore