Holly Ball canceled…. unless changes are made.

On October 8, 2012 during advisory homeroom, Mr. Hamblin called for a mandatory assembly so that he could talk directly to the student body about the many problems that have occurred recently in the school and at sporting events.

One of the issues discussed was that the student section at the football games would yell profanity before the kickoff. Another was that the student section turned their back to an opposing team’s injured player during the Campus home football game. The final announcement was that after the Hutchinson football game, part of the bleachers where the Derby student section was standing incurred extensive damage causing $3,000 worth of damage to the Hutchinson football stadium.

A statement was sent out by Derby High School explaining the situation and the consequences.

“Students were told that if a series of behaviors were not changed Holly Ball, the winter dance may be cancelled.  A decision based on building behavior over the next few weeks will determine if Holly Ball is held.”

With all the problems happening, Hamblin was forced to take action by telling the student body as a whole that Holly Ball was formally cancelled until the students cleaned up their act.

This consequence came with back lash, from students planning on attending the Holly Ball dance.

“The people who committed this action should lose Holly Ball, not the entire school,” Tj Perkins said.

Others took the call to action as a chance to make a difference.

“I have already paid $175 to have my dress shipped to me, I took matters in my own hands and spent 45 minutes with Kelsey DuBois picking up trash in the parking lot,” senior Malaree Hood said.

Students and teachers share the concern for the loss of Holly Ball, but believe that we will have Holly Ball because of the majority of students doing the right thing.

“We (the staff) have high expectations for our students, we wouldn’t set our standards so high if we didn’t think that they could reach them,” Brenda Heller said.

Mr. Hamblin set the deadline of Nov. 26, 2012 at which time he will make a decision on the fate of Holly Ball. Until then, students have the chance to make a difference.

– Nathan Gash