Last First Day of School

Seniors deal with a range of emotions on their first day of school

Agness Mbezi, Copy Editor

A surreal kind of happiness is how senior Samantha Stolt recalled her last first day of high school. 

“It was definitely different,” Stolt said with tears of happiness. “I feel like I didn’t expect it to come this quickly. I feel like I was just a freshman the other day and now I’m gonna be gone this year.”

The first day of school put into perspective how fast life had passed them by. That when people say four years goes by quickly… they aren’t joking.

“I feel like it’s definitely been crazy with the pandemic… the years go by really fast… the seasons went by fast. Even the months, they were just sprinting by,” senior Tyra Canary said.

For Stolt, the first day made her appreciate the value of time. 

“There is a quote, ‘you never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory,’ that’s kind of really how I’m feeling right now,” she said. “I just met all my friends freshman year and I’m still friends with them now and it’s been nice to have them through the whole journey and kind of sad because they are going to be going to different college than I am. So I’m just really trying to enjoy like this. Even if my classes are a little difficult or I have homework or something. I just kind of want to enjoy it.” 

When Canary fast forwards to the future, she sees the culmination of all her hard work achieved. 

“Walking that stage. That is my top goal. Walking on stage and staying on task this year,” she said. 

On May 14, seniors will finally be able to walk across the stage with their friends and family in the crowd. The anticipation for that moment is high for senior Savannah Rickords.

“I’m going to be happy, excited and ready,” Rickords said. 

Even though Stolt will be very excited to walk the stage, dancing on it isn’t something that she has planned. 

“I’m not a very good dancer. But what happens in the moment I guess will happen. I’m just going to be very happy,” she said.

As freshmen become accustomed to high school life, seniors leave advice for tips to get through high school. 

“Take college classes right away if you plan on going to college. Don’t wait,” senior Savannah Rickords said.