Hilton: Anyone else unsure of the future?

Kaytlin Hilton

Yes, high school is difficult. It’s full of missing class due to whatever sickness is going around that week, tripping up every staircase and waking up 20 minutes after your alarm goes off.

Not to mention the awkward first dates, the even more awkward first interviews, the endless club participation and resume building.

High school is meant to prepare us for what lies ahead. For most students that would be junior colleges and universities, while for others it’s basic training or even the work force.

It’s a four-year process meant to build up our talents and give us a taste of how professors will treat us, as well as how a work environment will feel like.

The first year flies by with a mild — OK, fine — a LARGE amount of panic. The second year zooms past with new friendships, new sports or activities, and you can’t forget about the extensive amount of homework.

Junior year drags by with unexpected stress. From Driver’s Ed, to a new job. You canNOT forget about all of the research projects. Junior year is doomed from the start, we can all agree on that.

Then comes the bittersweet year that we have been looking forward to since third grade. Senior year. The year of choices. The year of lasts.

Everybody loves a good college visit. Some students have even had their future college’s propaganda hanging in their rooms since they were four years old.

However, what about those students who don’t know what the next step is?

I’m one of them. With a variety of careers laying out in front of me, how am I supposed to understand exactly what I should do? The 300 million e-mails piled in my inbox from the 300 million colleges around me is not helping.

It takes a lot of decision-making, and quite frankly, a lot of tears, to make the choice that will affect the rest of your life.

Now that is what I call difficult.

To all my fellow students out there in the same position as me, I wish you the best.