Page 2: Classroom design showcases teacher personalities

Wakati Mathayo

With 2,182 students, there’s a variety of classrooms that reflect the subjects, as well as the personality of the teacher. 

Teachers fill their classrooms with their favorite things and memorabilia, making each classroom unique.

“What I like about my classroom, it’s big, so I’ve got a lot of room to move and so do my kids,” photography teacher Craig Godderz said. 

English teacher Monica Swift loves her window.

“Being able to see outside has been a real mood-lifter,” Swift said. 

But she also has what she calls props.

Like mannequins, Barbies, the Raven that I use with my classes to explain things in 3D,” Swift wrote in an email. “My very favorite of those are the eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg that I use with ‘The Great Gatsby’ – the glasses hang above the bulletin board beside my white board.”

One of English teacher Ed Belsan’s favorite aspects of his room is his books from college. 

“I have a set of Shakespeare sonnets that my wife bought me in college,” he said. “I have my original ‘Lord of the Rings’ set, my first collection of Sherlock Holmes stories.”

Belsan also has souvenirs from across the world. 

“I have some souvenirs here that I got from my first trip to Europe when I was in Florence (Italy),” he said. “There’s an eagle up there that I got when I went to India. I have a Native American headdress up there that my Comanche friend made for me. Just little things that have to do with friendships, relationships, and travels.”

Film teacher Kenny Linn has a wall of vintage cameras and memorabilia.

“It’s pretty unique. I have several sections in the same room, including a video studio, audio booth, and a computer lab. Kenneth Linn said.  

Another teacher, Craig Godderz talks about his room and what he thinks will make it cooler. 

“My classroom is the coolest in high school, except for Mr. Belsan’s. Belsan’s is cooler than mine,” Godderz said. “All I want in my classroom is more art work.”

Belsan’s room is personal, but it also has personality. 

And he uses all his items to keep his students on their toes.

“It’s always changing,” Belsan said. “I put  things up, take things down, and so we kind of play a little game off when we start the class to see what students can notice that’s new. And a lot of it has a story behind (it), so I get to share a lot of stories about life and learning.”