McFerson announces departure from teaching

Abigail Kuhn, Copy Editor

Teacher and gifted facilitator Molly McFerson announced that she is leaving her teaching position in order to start a new job at the Wichita Art Museum (WAM) on Dec. 2, serving as their Director of Learning, Engagement and Partnerships. 

As a gifted facilitator, McFerson works with Individual Education Plans, or IEPs, for over 50 students, all while teaching Reality 101, Research, AP Government, AP Art History and AP Psychology classes to freshmen through seniors. McFerson also works alongside gifted facilitator Lori Schock to manage the gifted students at DHS. 

While McFerson has been a beloved teacher, her education and career path lies in art museum education. 

For almost 15 years before (DHS), I worked at art museums in art museum education in Dallas and New York,” she said. 

At the WAM, McFerson will have new opportunities to create an engaging place for the community to flourish, with an emphasis on creating programs for local teens to engage in art. 

“I definitely want to have programs for teens,” she said. “I’m excited to grow that and draw from the pool of teens that I know here in Derby to help determine what that looks like.”

McFerson will be missed, but she has gained a lot from her time teaching that she can take to her new position. 

“The biggest thing I’m going to miss is you, my students,” McFerson said. “Getting to have the chance to leave work every day knowing that at some point in that day I know I’ve made a positive impact on at least one of my students.”