Biomedical club hosts first meeting

Summer Reece

Students gathered in A13 for HOSA’s first meeting on Wednesday.

HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) is a club that correlates with Derby High’s biomedical pathway and is sponsored by Kathleen O’Brien and Karla Long, who both teach the biomedical classes. Both teachers encourage all students who have an interest in the medical field to join — even if they are not enrolled in the pathway — because HOSA is a great way to get early involvement in the medical field.

Kathleen O’Brien, Biomedical teacher

At the meeting, Long and O’Brien spoke about the different opportunities that arise for members of HOSA, such as HOSA competitions where students compete to show off their medical skills and knowledge, CPR certification, learning from guest speakers about different careers in medicine, possible field trips to medical centers, viewing surgeries and help toward independent volunteering.

Long wants the club to be more involved with the public.

“This year I would really like to do a community event… whether it’s a 5k or some sort of event where we’re bringing awareness to something,” Long said.

Along with new activities and fundraising, officer elections, shirt ideas, parties and dues were briefly discussed during the meeting.

“Mrs. Long and I are just here for the ride. You all decide what direction you want to take as far as what things you want to do,” O’Brien said.

Long added: “It is what you make it… this year could be really fun.”