Eye dissection in A-13

Photo by Aubrey Nguyen

Abigail Kuhn, Copy Editor

On March 23, Dylan Brown’s Human Body Science class got up close and personal with the subject of their lessons — a cow’s eye. 

As they began to wrap up their communication unit, they studied how eyes take in information from the outside world and transmit that information to the brain. 

After learning about the different parts of the eye and how each works, the class dissected a cow eye to see how those parts really look in an eye, human or not. 

Many teenagers might not be keen on touching and dissecting an animal organ in class, but Brown’s students have a different opinion. 

“Because these kids for the most part really want to go into the medical field they’re usually really excited to get to dissect things,” Brown said. “With some people there’s a little bit of hesitance, but almost everybody gets involved and touches things and participates in the dissections.”

“I don’t think it’s really gross, I mean, it doesn’t really bother me. I have a pretty sturdy stomach,” sophomore Hayley Brumbelow said. “I think it’s really cool because you can see all of the anatomy parts to it.” 

Beyond bovine dissections, Brown’s biomedical classes learn about all operations of the body. 

“We learn anything from the basics like bones to how neurons communicate in the brain, even how Alzheimer’s works, so it’s pretty cool. The dissections are always like a cherry on top,” Brumbelow said.