Moth Invasion (Story by Laurisa Rooney)

Laurisa Rooney, Photo Editor

Have you ever sat in a classroom minding your own business and then suddenly your peace is disrupted by a flapping noise? 

Moths have been flying around the school causing people to be grossed out.  

“They are so annoying. I am over them and I don’t like how they are all over the place. I wish they were gone,” sophomore Cadence Erbert said. 

“I hate bugs, so personally, I don’t think they should be in the school. It’s just gross and I think it’s just the smell,” junior Breana Stolt said. “I was just finishing practicing for the Pops concert and was walking to the commons bell-side doors, and my friend told me to look up, and there were hundreds of moths just on the window. We started walking out of the doors and a moth flew in my ear. All I could hear was buzzing noises and it was just icky.”

Some students have noticed them outside of school.

“I’ve seen them at (Freddy’s) my place of work. I was cleaning one night and a moth just flew right in my face and I was super scared. I’ve seen them at some grocery stores and my house,” junior Abigail Belisle said. 

Erbert said the dance studio she goes to is infested with them.

“There are some holes I guess in the window screen at our studio and there are some gaps in the window and how they close,” she said. “When we opened our window a bunch of moths just came out and now we keep finding moths.They eat our clothes, but luckily we are a dance studio and have extra clothes.” 

While the moths are storming through Kansas right now, they will die down and start to migrate sometime in June.