Student Publications Act celebrated

Chloe Brown

The Kansas Scholastic Press Association hosts an annual event that teaches students different journalism skills and techniques, in addition to a yearbook competition.

This year’s event was extra special because the KSPA celebrated the 25th anniversary of the Kansas Student Publications Act in Topeka on Sept. 25.

Journalism proponents and high school advisers fought for this act, which gives Kansas high schools freedom of the press.

“The liberty of the press in student publications shall be protected,” the Kansas Student Publications Act said.

The conference made me realize that the field of journalism has some of the most dedicated people I’ve ever seen. I could tell that every person attending the conference is incredibly passionate and invests so much hard work into everything they do. 

— Senior Summer Reece

Although journalists are protected by the act, it was a struggle getting from where they were then to where they are now.

“We face a continued and constant battle to retain this freedom and this right. It took an alignment of stars over the state of Kansas,” John Hudnall said in a speech.

The act was created in 1989 but was not made official until 1991 when Gov. Joan Finney approved it.

The KSPA conference recognized the efforts put in to make this happen by providing those involved an opportunity to speak about their experiences.

“I am as impassioned (about the Kansas Student Publications Act) now as I was as a student and as I was as an adviser,” Blue Valley Southwest principal Scott Roberts said in a speech.

Four of the ‘Pittsburg Six’ shared how they personally benefited from from the act when they wrote about their newly hired principal and her fake credentials, which resulted in her resignation.

“Every once in a while, people give you a gift. I think you should take it,” Jim Richardson said in a speech.