Panthers need big second half to beat Campus

ancabufipafv

ancabufipafv

Kaitlyn Sanders

The Panthers continued their winning streak against rival Campus with a 48-20 win on Friday to finish the regular season 7-1 and take the fifth seed in the Class 6A playoffs.

Derby plays host to Dodge City (3-5) in the first round of the playoffs on Oct. 27.

But the Panthers needed a big second half to get it done.

Junior quarterback Hunter Igo looking for a play call from the sideline against Campus Oct. 20.

The first quarter started off slow with a six minute ball possession for the Colts before the first possession of the game for the Panthers immediately led to a 89-yard rushing touchdown from junior Hunter Igo, who started at quarterback for the third week.

In the last minute of the second quarter, a rushing play and passing play by seniors Brody Kooser and Jack Taylor led to a rushing touchdown from Igo with 13.4 seconds left before halftime.

The touchdown cut the Campus lead to 17-14 at the half.

Coming back from halftime the Panthers stomped on the Campus Colts Stampede.

Derby student section waving a Derby Panthers flag towards the end of the game against Campus Oct. 20.

The Colts added their final points to the board in the middle of the third quarter with a field goal.

Three touchdowns were added to the board in the fourth quarter from the Panthers by Taylor, and seniors Michael Littleton and Brady Walls.

Littleton and Walls had their second touchdowns of the season — Littleton a 24-yard receiving touchdown, and Walls on a 79-yard run.

Igo had 275 rushing yards and 241 passing yards, while Kooser had 94 rushing yards and scored two touchdowns.