Page 6 – Starting off strong: Senior Dallas Metzger, Destiny Smith spent the offseason preparing for the upcoming season

On the basketball court and ready to go.

Dallas Metzger and Destiny Smith are ready for what’s next.

The senior basketball players, who both helped lead their teams to third-place finishes in the Class 6A tournament in March, have spent countless hours on the court and in the weight room during the offseason.

“I work out six times a week,” Smith said. ”Usually, Sundays are my off days. Just working on agility and shooting.”

As for Metzger, coach Brett Flory has seen the motivation.

Dallas wants to do whatever it takes to win,” Flory said. “He was a big part of our Final Four team last year, and he is highly motivated to return to that level and beyond.”

The change in Metzger is obvious to all.

This season, he has made a tremendous effort to improve his body and is in the best physical condition of his life,” Flory said. “He has lost about 20 pounds, gotten stronger and is much lighter on his feet. That will really help him this season.”

Bryan Chadwick, the new girls basketball coach, is excited to see what Smith will do for the team.

“Destiny had a successful summer playing AAU ball while also dedicating ample time to improving her game throughout the year,” Chadwick said. “Destiny is an excellent team player and is rapidly developing into a skilled athlete. She has taken on a more prominent leadership role within the team.”

Being a senior starter comes with great responsibility and leadership.

“I was learning (leadership) from Addy for three years now so she definitely helped prepare me,” Smith said about Addy Brown, who was a McDonald’s All-American and is now playing at Iowa State. “But I definitely am (ready).”

Expectations are high for the girls team.

“Our goal for Destiny is to improve our team and mentor younger players in the Derby Way,” Chadwick said. 

Flory has similar expectations for Metzger and the boys team.

“As our most experienced player, we will rely on him for leadership a great deal,” Flory said. 

“I expect Dallas to be a good senior leader for us and to be one of the premier players in the state. He has put in the work to be ready for that.”

To build a bond, Metzger and the other boys players have been playing pickup games at the Derby Recreational Center.

“Just us playing at the DRC after school and playing with each other helps me really take on that role, especially with conditioning,” Metzger said.

Smith and her teammates have a strong bond and it shows on the court.

“I expect us to have a good year,” Smith said. “We’ve had three good years since I’ve been here, so I’m expecting the same thing.”

“I mean, there’s nothing really to worry about when you have girls you love.”