Prom location announced

For years, students have complained about the location of Prom in the main gymnasium. The Class of 2025 is ready to change that. 

Prom is April 27 at The Wave in Wichita, themed after a “City of Lights,” according to the junior class which organizes the dance.

“I am super excited for the new prom location,” junior and student body treasurer Ellie Beran said. “After touring the venue, I think… that people will not have any big critiques about it this year.”

The venue will support an indoor-outdoor event, letting students choose how they want to spend their evening. 

“What we have planned is a very hyper and party-type atmosphere, which I know a lot of people will like,” Beran said. “But we also have a part of the Prom that will be outside and quiet for the people who like to socialize more than dance.” 

This will be the first time since 2019 that Prom is at a location other than the school.

Other locations were considered, but were not able to be booked for a variety of reasons including prior bookings, the expected size of the dance, and school rules about what locations are appropriate for the dance. 

The dance will continue throughout the evening, stretching from 8-10 p.m. 

“I don’t think Derby High has ever had a dance like what we are planning before,” Beran said.