The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Warm temperatures unprecedented for students

After an abnormally cold January with temperatures dipping far below freezing, spring highs were unexpected for the end of February.

While averages for the month hover in the 40ºs and 50ºs, temperatures hit nearly 80 degrees in the last week of February.

“The heat doesn’t feel odd, but it’s definitely out of place,” senior Evan Cotterill said.

With temperatures rising far above averages, concerns about climate change follow.

“Whenever we get these events, we should always be thinking there’s the possibility or likelihood that… climate change is increasing the likelihood of strange weather,” Columbia University climate researcher Richard Seager said.

Despite such concerns, many feel that warm weather is typical for Kansas.

“The heat doesn’t worry me a ton about climate change because it’s cooling back down,” Cotterill said. “It seems like normal Kansas weather.”

Feb. 28 followed a 79º high with temperatures in the low 40ºs, returning Kansans to typical winter weather.

“Going back to the cold is kind of nice because I like to wear sweatpants and I don’t like when my car feels like an oven,” Cotterill said.

While winter temperatures make a comeback, spring is still on the hopeful horizon.

“I get super excited for spring because I love spending time outside,” Cotterill said.