Derby freshmen already cultivating interesting from basketball coaches

Taelyn Huntley

Jaidyn Schomp, a freshman basketball player at Derby High, has already interest from multiple colleges, including D1 schools.

On Tuesday against Newton, a Baylor assistant watched Kennedy Brown play. The positive there? All the other players got looks from one of the top programs in the country.

Schomp started to play the game when she was in third grade for her church and then played for a team that her dad coached when she was 9.

“I then started to play for Antonio Kennedy, the coach of CIA, and that’s where it all started,” Schomp said.

Schomp has played for her club basketball team since fourth grade. Fellow freshman Katelyn Kennedy plays on the same summer team.

But being a student athlete isn’t always fun and filled with scholarships. You have to be able to juggle the game with your schoolwork. Whether that means missing class, coming back home late from away games, practicing hard for hours or just having your homework pile up.

“It’s really hard for away games because I tend to procrastinate on my homework a lot, and with basketball you can’t do that,” Schomp said.

But not only has Baylor started to take an interest in her, but she’s also gotten a few letters and emails from other colleges too. A few of them are Kansas State, Kansas, Nebraska and Northern Colorado.

Schomp also attended the Kansas vs. Texas game on Sunday with a few of her CIA team members. They got to watch the game and tour the practice facility and locker rooms.

“I used to have specifics, but now I really just want anyone who wants me. Some advice that I got when I went to K-State was that ‘Go somewhere where the college wants you more than you want them,’ ” Schomp said.

As a freshman Schomp feels privileged and excited that she’s able to have such opportunities. Most kids her age don’t get the same opportunities and support.

“If you really want to do it, go after it, never give up. You’re not going to be that good when you’re younger if you don’t work for it, so follow your dreams,” Schomp said.