The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Derby alums, sisters starting in NCAA basketball tournament

Two former McDonald’s All-Americans and Kansas player of the year in the 6A class are starting in the NCAA women’s basketball tournament.

Kennedy Brown is a senior at Duke, and her sister, Addy Brown, is a freshman at Iowa State. Both grew up and graduated from DHS.

Duke and Iowa State are both No. 7 seeds in the tournament.

Addy is a skillful guard who can shoot the ball well. Kennedy is a center who is one of the leading defensive bigs.

They both were competitive and driven growing up, which helped them to their success. 

“I was the youngest, so I was the annoying little sibling who would try and play her and push her buttons,” Addy said.

The girls were close as kids, working out together and getting better together. 

“I would go to a lot of her trainings and her practices with the older girls,” Addy said.

The two were in school for one year together when Addy was a freshman and Kennedy was a senior. Addy never failed to hang with her sister, whether it was in school ball, training or just out in the backyard. They spent one summer together before Kennedy went off to college. 

“I would travel with them, and I sat the bench, but I learned the most that summer. We would but heads at practices, of course, but I had nothing but respect for her. She taught me a lot more than I was able to teach her,” Addy said.