Pit band a success for “The Music Man

Courtney Brown, Panther's Tale copy editor

While “The Music Man” was accompanied by a student pit band like past years, this year the pit band was organized by a student.

Junior Jamie Black, involved in the pit band last year and part of the musical this year, took the initiative to form the pit band.

“We didn’t really have a pit going for this musical, because the past director couldn’t find anyone to be a part of it. So I thought that maybe I could go out and see what I could do,” Black said.

Black recruited members by asking fellow band members, slowly adding more students for a full pit band.

“I told Jamie that it would be fun to do, and he immediately signed me up and then had me try to recruit people,” sophomore Beth Wilson said.

With only a few weeks to learn over 40 songs, Black worked with conductor Tyler Morris to find ways to make it easier for the pit band.

“Some of the songs had crazy jumps that were hard to follow, so we only had our piano player play on them, which made it a lot easier for the pit to follow,” Black said.

It was also difficult to find rehearsal times for the pit band because other members were involved in different activities, but they managed to come together.

“It was really relaxed and the rehearsals were fun because we got to watch the musical as well,” Wilson said.

The pit band played well during their performances.

“Mr. Morris directed them since I was on stage, but they were always ready and calm about what was going on. They sounded great, and I thought it was really cool that all of them were actually interested in the show and how everything worked,” Black said.

Despite the challenges, Black is glad that he organized the pit band.

“It gave all the musicians an opportunity to experience being in a pit, and it added so much to our show, rather than us only having piano and drums throughout the entire show,” Black said. “I’m really glad I got to work with them, and it’s something I will always be proud of.”