Pagels: Gun control needed

Camryn Pagels, Panther's Tale writer, designer

*This story has been updated to correct information regarding the announcement and Skyward alert. Students received a Skyward e-mail and an announcement was made at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, March 5. Parents received Skyward calls at 11:31 a.m.

Today, a student was arrested for having a gun at Derby High School.

A Skyward alert was sent out to parents and students, but no further information was provided.

No intercom announcements were made regarding the incident until nearly two hours after the Skyward alert was sent to parents.

I think incidents like this are why we need stronger gun control. I wasn’t personally afraid for my safety when I heard the news, but my mother pulled my sister and I out of school within minutes.

Students shouldn’t have to be afraid when they’re going to school — and I don’t think arming teachers would fix the problem, either.

Recently, President Trump suggested after the Florida shooting that teachers should be given guns to protect themselves and their students in classrooms. But all it would really do, in my opinion, is turn school into more of a war zone.

By entrusting teachers to take care of it, we’re burdening them with not just things like tests, but the responsibility for human lives. Our teachers already spend free time doing grading and preparing assignments.

It shouldn’t be their concern to protect their students’ lives.

The best thing to do is make sure nobody has weapons at school at all.

There are many solutions I feel could work for this problem.

Metal detectors could be placed around the building’s entrances, for example. But I believe some bigger changes are necessary.

The Second Amendment was ratified when guns took longer to load and weren’t as powerful.

Now I think it should be made more difficult to acquire guns. A person should have no criminal record if they want to carry a weapon.

In the United States in 2016, about 16,459 murders were committed; seventy-three percent were committed with firearms.

The right to the safety of others is more important than the right to own a weapon.

Making guns more difficult to acquire would benefit lives everywhere.

After all, humans cannot be replaced.