Safety in school questioned after student arrested with handgun

Briantae Crockett, Panther's Tale writer, designer

*This story has been updated to correct information about how the gun was revealed.

How safe do you feel in school?

A DHS student was arrested this morning in possession of a handgun on school property.

I heard the news from a friend, who was told by her mother. My peers and I wonder why we didn’t hear it from the school first or why we didn’t go into a lockdown drill.

Last week there was an announcement of a lockdown drill. When it happened, the para automatically told us to go to the other side of the room, away from the door.

An administrator came by to check the door and make sure it was locked — it wasn’t. This made me worry about how safe we actually are. Are teachers taking these drills seriously?

I never really thought about how I would feel if someone were to bring a gun into my school, but it has happened, and now it makes me feel scared, and concerned for my safety and others.

The student had the during a class and was taken out of class by security and then arrested.

Why would this student bring the gun to school? What were the motives?

How can the school make sure that something like this never happens again?

I hope these questions will be answered soon. I feel like everyone should be aware because these types of things do happen.

Editor’s note: Derby principal Tim Hamblin responded to PanthersTale.com questions, including queries about a lockdown and communication: https://pantherstale.com/16263/news/gun-on-campus-qa-with-principal-tim-hamblin/