Drees: Students should not have been last to know about gun on campus

Cydney Drees, Yearbook, Panther's Tale writer, designer

*This story has been updated to correct information regarding the number of school shootings in 2018. The information, which had been widely disseminated, was debunked by snopes.com and The Washington Post.

No student wants to imagine a gun in their school or a possibility of a shooting happening.

Yet that’s exactly what happened today.

A student brought a gun to this school, endangering every single one of us. The thought of how easy a gun can be brought into here scares me along with many others. Many students and parents are afraid and are leaving school.

A few things about this situation are bothering me more than others. Why was there not a lockdown? Why were the students, the people that are directly impacted, last to know?

I was wrong to assume when there is gun in a school there would be more measures to protect the students. Like a lockdown, even just a Stage 1. It makes me and many of my classmates feel unsafe.

Being a student, I should have the right to know right away when there’s a possible threat.

I don’t feel safe or calm today. Students should not fear to go to school. We should not feel unsafe at the place that will shape our future. We should not be wondering if Derby High school will be the next school plastered on national news.

Editor’s note: Derby principal Tim Hamblin responded to PanthersTale.com questions, including those queries about a lockdown and communication: https://pantherstale.com/16263/news/gun-on-campus-qa-with-principal-tim-hamblin/