Gun on campus: Q&A with principal Tim Hamblin

Summer Reece, Panther's Tale writer, designer, photographer

Principal Tim Hamblin recently responded to questions concerning this morning’s handgun incident.

Q: Why didn’t we go into lockdown today, even just a Stage 1 lockdown?

A: The stages of our current safety and security plan are implemented based on verifiable information not rumor. DHS administration and SRO’s had no verifiable information until the student was in custody.

We will use this opportunity to re-evaluate with the district safety and security officer if changes to this process should occur. Another piece to the lockdown component is we have to consider every situation as a unique situation and look at all options.

An example if you look at this situation information could not be verified until the individual was found and questioned.

Prior to that, a lockdown would have locked the individual in a room with 25 people. So these situations are very complex and each must be analyzed on an individual basis.  There is no single set of rules that will address or cover the “What is to be done….if.” The “if” forces us to investigate and examine everything.

Q: Why weren’t students notified first/why wasn’t there an announcement to inform students about the incident?

A: Information was shared with students via school email and an intercom announcement. What may be a concern to some is the timing of information.  Any safety concerns related to this incident were immediately addressed and all resources were then focused on all of the legal aspects that are associated with such an incident.

Q: What are we supposed to do during lunch if a lockdown happens?

A: Should a need to lockdown occur during lunch students are to access the auditorium.  This is communicated every year and students need to step up and pay attention when administration gives directions during drills and at the beginning of the year.

Q: What do you want students to do if another student approaches them with a gun or they see someone with a gun?

A: If you see something you must tell an adult.