Hilton: I have a right to use my voice

Kaytlin Hilton

I was told recently that I had to “serve four years in the war before talking about politics.” This statement not only baffled me, but also frustrated me. A customer of mine told me this as we got into a discussion about gun violence.

While I may only be 18 years old, my age and looks do not disqualify me from engaging in conversation about what is affecting me directly.

I respect this man for the service he provided to keep our country strong. However, while serving our country, he was protecting our very right to speak and protest.

I may only be an 18-year-old high school student with minimal life experience, but I have a voice. Every young person has a voice.

We have the right to speak our opinions, whether that be on a platform such as a high school newspaper column or on our social media.

We have the right to answer tough political questions. We have the ability to talk about how we view a certain political topic.

Being politically aware at a young age is a GOOD thing. No adult should shake their head at a student for knowing what’s going on. No adult should be disappointed in students for forming their own informative opinions at a young age.

Whether you find yourself with liberal or conservative values, you have a right to talk about those wherever and whenever you please, even if you haven’t served in the war for four years.