Students’ planned walkout response to gun violence

Derby High students who are absent from class for five consecutive minutes will be considered unexcused

Courtney Brown, Panther's Tale copy editor

The Florida school shooting on Feb. 14 sparked outrage and cries for change, and students across the nation responded with protests against gun violence.

These protests will continue with another nationwide walkout on Friday, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting.

Senior Ivy Icenhour organized the walkout at Derby High.

“I decided to organize the walkout so Derby would become at least more aware to the gun violence and the gun culture that we’re facing in our country right now,” Icenhour said.

The walkout will last 17 minutes, representing the number of lives lost in the Florida shooting.

Derby High students who plan to be involved in the walkout will receive the same discipline as the attendance policy states, principal Tim Hamblin said.

“If a student is in a walkout, and they are absent from class for five consecutive minutes without permission, they violate the attendance policy and would receive an unexcused absence,” Hamblin said.

However, if students are excused, they will not receive discipline.

“The only way they would receive discipline is if they’re doing something during the event that breaks another school rule,” Hamblin said.

The policy also states that student athletes will not be allowed to participate in practice or compete in tournaments if they have an unexcused absence.

Hamblin has mentioned the policy several times during morning announcements and during Wednesday’s senior vs. staff basketball game.

Icenhour and four other students notified Hamblin in advance about the walkout so he would be aware.

Icenhour feels the walkout is important to spreading their message.

“I feel like it’s necessary because there’s no way you won’t be noticed, but in no way are we hindering anyone else from learning or doing their regular business,” she said.

Students have mixed opinions about the walkout.

Sophomore Grace Shoemaker supports the students taking action for change but thinks there might have been a better method.

“I think it’s a good idea because high schoolers have to get their voice out some way, because if they want change, they’re gonna have to make it. No one else can do it for them,” Shoemaker said. “There might be a better way to do it besides walking out of school.”

Freshman Luke Perrin thinks the walkout is pointless.

“I really don’t see the point in doing it at all because I think everyone’s already aware that 17 (Parkland, Florida, students and faculty) died,” he said. “Everyone’s already aware that there was a school shooting. Everyone’s already aware that people use guns to kill people every day. We shouldn’t need to walk out of the school to bring awareness to this.”

Although unsure of the turnout, Icenhour hopes the walkout will help the community become more aware about school shootings and how it affects students.

“I hope that people become more aware that students don’t have to be scared to come to school and that we have a disgusting gun culture going on in our country right now and we need to set our priorities straight for things like that,” Icenhour said. “But if people don’t realize that, then I hope they become at least more politically aware and active in their society.”