Tardy policy frustrates Derby students

Olivia Jones, Panther's Tale design editor

Involving long lines and short fuses, the new tardy policy is a frustrating topic to most students.

The way the policy works is that if you’re late to class, you must go to the attendance office, scan your ID and get a pass.

The main focus is to lower the amount of tardies in the school.

Since the tardy policy has been in effect, students complain that it is a hassle.

Junior Brianna Moore feels that the system is too time consuming.

“You’re late to class already and then they’re going to make you go up there, go get a slip of paper, and then come back down to class. You’re just wasting more class time, you’re distracting the class being even more late, and you’re missing more of the lesson,” Moore said.

Along with the tardy policy, students are upset that  passing periods have been shortened from six minutes to five.

“I really don’t like it. They should give us six minutes instead of five minutes — that way everyone can arrive to class on time without having to be even more late to class by having to get a stupid slip,” junior Natalie Shifflett said.

Most students see what is wrong with the tardy policy, but junior Corrie Spaulding sees how the policy could be good.

“I think the new tardy policy will work for some people who are usually ditching class. It has some advantages. For when there’s intruders that come in, or shooters. There’s many pros and cons,” Spaulding said.

While Spaulding sees the benefits of the policy, she agrees that there are some downsides.

“It also has its disadvantages, kids that might be late on busses in the morning or appointments,” Spaulding said.