Tardy policy cleans up halls, frustrates students

Payton O'Brien

This story appeared in the Sept. 26 issue of the Panther’s Tale

It’s no joke when it is said that Derby High has really changed things up this year.

From the new parking lot traffic plan, to passing periods being shortened by one minute, things have definitely changed.

But what seems to have frustrated students the most is the new tardy policy.

The tardy policy requires that students go to the attendance office and get a pass when they are late. This includes if you are late to class in between passing periods.

All classroom doors are locked after the bell to end the passing period rings. Students will not be let in unless they have a pass.

“It’s garbage, it’s just bad,” junior Francisco Rocha said about the new tardy policy. “It makes no sense to make the kid even more late to class by letting him go all the way to the office, just to get a piece of paper, and also, in the space of that time they could go get a drink, go get some food from the machine, go to the bathroom.

“There’s a lot they could do in that time instead of going to class.”

Other students agree with Rocha. However, Allison Strecker, the sophomore principal, feels differently.

Arriving to class on time is an important skill to develop as employers expect their employees to arrive at work on time. Time missed in class cannot be made up, and teachers try to make every moment count,” Strecker said.

Candace Morgan, who works in the attendance office, likes the policy.

“I think it’s great because it holds kids accountable for their actions. If you’re late to work, you get a point taken off, if you reach so many points you get a written and verbal warning and then if you keep it up, do you think they’re going to keep you in a job?” Morgan asked.

She added,  “At least 100 kids come in tardy per day.”

The change with tardy policy is still new and the administrators are still trying to work out the kinks in the new technology that comes with the system.