Juuls a trend … and a health risk

High school is one of many places trends for teens arise. Whether it’s clothing, a dance, hairstyles, or even the type of phones students have, high school is the place teens hear about what’s cool and what’s not.

Teens are currently drooling over JUULs, the new Electronic Cigarette with flavors such as Mango, Fruit medley, Mint, Creme Brulee and Virginia Tobacco.

A lot of teens use these trends as a way to fit in. Most kid don’t want to walk down those halls and feel as if they stand out from the rest.

Juuls make some feel like they’re finally fitting in. Students will drop $35-$50 dollars on this E-cigarette with an additional $15-$17 dollars on a pack of 4 Nicotine pods.

One juul pod holds the same nicotine percentage as one pack of cigarettes, and some Derby students are blowing through them in less than a day or two.

Most parents won’t even know their child has a juul. It looks like a small black flash drive, but parents should be concerned.

Teens brains are highly sensitive to substances such as nicotine. Nicotine has a different impact on the developing teen brain then on an adult’s brain.

That’s not all, though. Some side effects can include increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and chronic bronchitis.

Not only do parents have to worry about it at home, but teachers and administration are having to worry about it in the school.

Many kids will keep their juul in their bag or just have it on them in their pocket. Students are taking hits off of them in the classrooms when the teacher is not looking or when they step out of the room for a moment.

But it’s not just in the classrooms, either.

Bathrooms are the next most common place. Big groups of kids will go in to the bathroom and juul without a care.

If the trouble they’ll be in with the school isn’t enough to get them to stop, then parents need to help their kids realize the kind of health risk that come along with this trend.