How students deal with gender dysphoria

Jackson Davis

About 3% of students are transgender or gender non-conforming, according to USA Today.

These students have gender dysphoria – or gender incongruence – which is defined as feeling one’s emotional and psychological identity is actually opposite of one’s biological sex.

To the students who have gender dysphoria, it means something else.

“How I explain gender dysphoria to cis people would be like – imagine your mom making you go to school in a really uncomfortable outfit for your entire life and you can never take it off,” said freshman Tyler Atherton, who identifies as male. “When you do take the outfit off, you are happy with yourself.”

Cis people are those who identify with the gender they were assigned at birth.

Often students who have gender dysphoria also deal with the symptoms of body dysphoria, yet on a different level. 

Body dysphoria is defined as the distress you feel because of your own body, often leading to self-hatred. 

The effects of body dysphoria and gender dysphoria cannot fall under the same ideas of a solution, according to author Austen Hartke, a transgender man who has worked to create LGBTQ friendly spaces in places of worship. 

People dealing with gender dysphoria do not experience relief from the sense of dissonance when put on medication, and though therapy is often helpful, it does not cause the dysphoria to subside,” Hartke wrote in an article. 

While the effects may be similar, potential solutions vary greatly due to the nature of gender dysphoria. 

The challenges of gender dysphoria don’t just come with the mental effects but also with the obstacles of personal life and the perception of being transgender. 

“There definitely is a stigma against gender dysphoria but also being trans in general,” junior Jack Sallman said. “I saw this guy talking about trans people and he didn’t understand it and people in my German class were making fun of them.” 

According to the Human Rights Campaign, often the stigma against transgender individuals results in isolation from families, communities and even legal protection. 

Another report by the Human Rights Campaign says that in 2018, at least 26 transgender people died due to brutal violence, and in 2019, 19 transgender people were killed. 

It’s because people don’t fully understand and therefore they are more likely to lash out,” Sallman said. 

There are ways for students to love themselves for who they are. 

“When I can express myself, I feel really happy,” Atherton said. “I usually feel really supported, and a good mental state helps me stay focused.” 

Clothing items such as binders – which help to bind the chest down – are often used by individuals to feel better about their bodies. Outside sources also allow transgender people to get the support they need.

“Go online to find support groups or people who are like you. That can really help you feel like you belong,” Sallman said.