DHS swimmers fundraise through Swim to a Wish

Alli Mehringer

This weekend the boys swim team, along with other area high schools, will come together at Campus High School for Swim to a Wish. 

They will have to swim 20 miles each, and one mile equals 36 laps. Magnus Moeder, Braden Cooper, Trent Voth and William McCabe signed up for the fundraiser. 

They swim from Friday all the way to Sunday afternoon. Every time they get into the pool to swim, they must swim a mile without stopping. 

“I really enjoy Swim to a Wish for the reason that I can wake up at 3 a.m. and swim a mile — I think that is pretty cool,” Moeder said. 

Another thing is they don’t get to go home to sleep. They have to stay at Campus High School until everyone has swam 20 miles. 

So where do they sleep? They black out this room in the back of the pool area for the swimmers to sleep and rest up before they have to swim again. They bring blankets, pillows, sleeping bags and sometimes even little tents to sleep in. 

People bring a bunch of food for the swimmers such as donuts, pizza, chips, fruits and much more. 

The boys really enjoy raising money and spending time together, so they don’t mind the swimming but they definitely don’t enjoy it as much as eating food and hanging out when they don’t have to swim.