Goodbye, DHS

2020 graduate Breanna Mehringer says goodbye to Derby High

Breanna Mehringer

All high school freshmen dream about the day when it will finally be their turn to walk across the stage and get their diploma. 

When you’re 14, graduation feels like it’s forever away. You work your butt off to maintain grades and pray that your senior year gets here just a little bit faster. 

I knew I would hate every second of school if I didn’t try to make the most of the next four years. 

So I did exactly that.

I kept myself busy during my first three years of high school by attending football games, going to all the school dances, getting a job, hanging with my friends, joining the swim team, just simply going to class. 

Me and Derby High School sure had our days, but I had a pretty memorable experience. 

I never would’ve guessed it would all be over so soon. 

March 13, 2020. 

I will forever remember that date because it was my last day at DHS — and I didn’t even know it. 

I treated that day like any other half day. All I had on my mind was spring break, but if I knew that would’ve been my last time going to class, I would’ve soaked in every last minute. 

Senior year for me was one of the best years I had. I was looking forward to everything that comes with my last semester such as senior prom, senior swim season, senior prank and most certainly graduation. But I guess COVID-19 had other plans for the class of 2020. 

To all the kids who get to go back to high school in the fall, make sure you don’t take it for granted. 

Dress up for your last first day, go to those pep assemblies, attend that football game, try out for those sports, and find the perfect outfit for the dances.

Because I promise you, the memories will be worth it in the end. 

Derby is one special town and I’m proud to call it home.

Once a Panther, always a Panther. 

Peace out, DHS