Life: From six feet away

EllieAna Hale

The fourth quarter of high school took place in the lonely comfort of teenage bedrooms and virtual classrooms. 

Students’ lives have changed drastically due to COVOID-19. Specifically, DHS seniors were impacted emotionally and psychically. 

“It’s sad that you don’t get to see all of your class together anymore. I think it’s symbolic of life where you can’t handle what you’re given, only how you respond,” senior Daniel Archer said. 

Whether that means graduation being postponed indefinitely or their last year of high school being ripped away due to circumstances that could not be changed. 

Emotions range from sadness to hope for a better future. 

“I believe that there is always something better in the midst of losing something,” senior Shi’Amber Boyer said, “You can’t be sad about it or think about it too much or you’ll lose sight of your blessings.”

Circumstances also impacted seniors’ plans for their future, but some students are taking this time to better prepare themselves and open themselves up for additional opportunities. 

“I think I’ve been fortunate that not too much of my plans have changed. If anything quarantine has given me more time to work harder toward my future,” Archer said.

This last year for seniors was meant to be a time of happiness and the last days of being a teenager and living in their own teen coming-of-age movie, but now they must remain six feet away from a dream of walking across a stage into their future.

“I saw my graduation being packed with family and friends. And just having that proud feeling,” Boyer said.

Six feet away from their last sporting events and award ceremonies.

“I wish I could have gone back and seen all the teachers that I’ve had and thank them for their years of support,” Archer said.

Six feet away from the chance to dance the night away at prom and say goodbye to their friends.

“I think this would impact my outlook on life because it taught me that I need to be patient and be grateful for the moments I was able to have,” Boyer said.

But DHS seniors are strong.

They are resilient.

They are hopeful for a better future.

And most of all, DHS seniors reflect what it truly means to be a Derby Panther.

“Keep your head up, and keep moving forward,” Archer said.