Students turn masks into accessories

Shaye Comes, Content Editor

Masks have become the new norm, the new accessory and the newest way to show off your personal style.

Students around Derby High School are sporting gaiters, team masks, fun designed masks, presidential nominee masks and many more designs. Masks allow students to accessorize and add to their own outfit. 

“They add more to the outfit because they take away from my face,” junior Brooke Cooper said. “My favorite mask is my cheetah one because I can breathe, and it’s soft. I like the softer ones.”

Some students have a favorite mask. Some students hate masks. Some students love masks. Some students make it a point to match their mask with their outfit, and some just throw on whatever mask they can find.

“I always try to match my masks, and if I can’t find one that matches, I just wear a white one,” junior Natalie Ulwelling said.

Breathability, softness, fit and style are qualities that most students look for in their masks. 

“My favorite mask is probably my flowery pink one from Bittersweet, and I love it because it’s easy to breathe in, it stays up really well, and it’s adorable,” junior Elly Greenwood said.

Celebrities in Hollywood, such as Billie Eilish have been sporting the masks for a while. Eilish has been a trendsetter for masks even before quarantine began. Big fashion brands like Gucci make masks, too.

Masks are a staple in today’s fashion, and we all might as well embrace them for the time being.