Should “To Kill a Mockingbird” Be Banned

Agness Mbezi, Copy Editor

On Oct. 12 and Oct.13, teacher Robin Groskurth’s first block class held a Socratic Seminar over the book “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

One of the questions that the class discussed was whether or not “To Kill a Mockingbird” should be banned because of the usage of foul language among other things. Students were passionate about this subject. 

“I think the book shouldn’t be banned because it’s history, it’s the pure truth,” sophomore Mia Starnes said. “This is what would’ve happened back then, and it’s really an eye opener. 

“What happened in the book still happens today. We shouldn’t try to hide the past and make it seem like everything is fine and dandy. This is what would’ve happened and people need to see that.” 

Sophomore Jalaya Purvis and Alivia Turner agreed with the thoughts of Starnes on how there is still racism today.

“No, I do not think this book should be banned,” Purvis said. “It gives more emphasis on how unfair life was for minorities back in the 1930s. You can also see that some of these issues still exist in the present today, so I think it’s important for people to see how far society has come – even though we obviously still have some things we need to work out.”

Turner added: “I don’t think that TKAM should be banned for the simple fact it really discusses the issues that went on back then and are still happening now. Majority of racism and discrimination that happened then is happening now and needs to be realized and discussed. Teens should be taught these things and should know what goes on in the world.”

“To Kill a Mockingbird” has taught many students at Derby about how common racism is and how alive it is today. Because of this, the majority believe that this book should not be banned.