Prince: Term schedule frustrating

Maren Prince

The term schedule implemented at Derby is not beneficial to students or teachers. 

While classes are meeting for the same amount of time as a regular block schedule, it definitely feels like more time because they meet every day instead of every other day. 

This schedule is stressful for students because it makes it feel like their workload is so much more. 

The amount of material teachers are having to cram into one term is overwhelming. 

Core high school-level and AP classes can fall in the same term, and this can result in a lot of homework having to be turned in only a day after it was assigned. 

Also, students may receive assignments from teachers that they have to complete over the term that they don’t meet. 

While I do see the rationale for implementing this sort of schedule — less contact on a daily basis, less classes to worry about (especially while remote learning) — I don’t agree with it because I think it makes life much more difficult for students and teachers alike. 

Students are having to return to classes that they haven’t thought about for a whole term — this can make remembering material more difficult. 

Year-long courses, such as band and choir, are also experiencing difficulties because of the schedule. 

I was disappointed to hear that the school is planning to keep the schedule for next year as well. 

I really hope that Derby goes back to a regular block schedule — it would make school a lot easier, and it just makes more sense.