Page 2: Queer students often subjected to homophobic comments

Haley Waughtal, Content Editor

“We don’t need this in schools. There’s two genders, male and female. You’re born as one and you stay that one, end of story. Anyone who does that trans crap is a freak and will rot in hell with the rest of the weirdos.”

A simple survey sent to the student body resulted in a high number of anonymous hate-filled responses directed at the queer population.

The surveys’ responses included people explaining their dislike for the topic. 

“People do not realize that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community was not anyone’s choice no matter what anyone says. This is just who we are,” junior Parker Tauer said. 

While these comments were left in an environment that keeps them behind a screen and anonymous,  queerphobia is often on display.

“While I’m not the type to care too much about how others perceive me, I still feel the pressure,” junior Abigail Fowler said. “I’ve definitely experienced queerphobia firsthand. Whether it was me or a friend. I think that it’s wrong that just because they are different from you they suddenly aren’t valid, we are all human and no one is exactly the same.” 

Sophomore Toby Ivy has figured out how to deal with the statements that are made. 

“Sometimes people try and push my buttons with homophobic/queerphobic jokes or talk negatively and say that ‘gays aren’t natural’ and ‘all of you f*** should die, none of you are important.’” Ivy said. “I have been called slurs before but I’ve gotten used to all of this. They expect me to get upset but I just laugh it off or ‘agree’ with them to give them a little shock.”

Slurs are a touchy topic. Some believe that a word is just a word. Others believe that slurs are words that either shouldn’t be said or only a group of people can claim. 

“I have been called homophobic slurs multiple times in the hallway. Whether it is joking or not it is not OK” sophomore Emma Tiffany said.

For many homophobia is something that is seen often around them. Whether it is the use of slurs or even queerbaiting.

Queerbaiting is the act in which someone puts on a flamboyant act and says they are “acting gay.”

“I often see straight men act gay as a joke and while it may not be blatant homophobia they are still making being gay seem like a joke or gag,” sophomore Trey Marcynzski said. 

Homophobia harms those on the receiving end.