Page 3: Panthers infected with senioritis

Evan Signer

Many seniors tend to suffer from senioritis, especially towards the end of the year. 

“Almost all of the seniors I know have senioritis,” senior Luke Perrin said.

Senior Jacob Seely is ready to move on.

“I’m happy to get out of here. I think I’ve learned enough to be good in life so I don’t think I have to worry about this,” he said.

As seniors finish their credits and classes, some don’t have a full schedule. Homeroom is no longer required, so there are part-time students in the building half the time.

“It is pretty hard to come to school when I only have one class,” senior Cooper Godwin said.

Senior Adam Bradley agreed. 

“I only have two classes, granted they are really fun classes, but I still don’t really see the need for me to come to school right now,” he said.

Senioritis is tough to prevent because most people are ready to get out of high school. They’re ready for college, moving on with their lives or just putting school behind them.

“I’m really excited about getting out of high school, looking forward to moving onto college and looking forward to leaving Derby,” Perrin said. 

As much as students joke about senioritis, the lack of motivation can be a concern. Students can talk to their counselors to help them finish strong.

Students can draw from different areas for what will get them to the end.

“My motivation is I have my father and girlfriend telling me to get my stuff done so I can get everything done and get back on track real quick,” senior Jacob Seely said.

Perrin’s family is also a part of his motivation.

“I don’t want to come to school most of the time, but I do because of my college classes, if I could ditch school I would,” he said. “… If I don’t go to school, I get in trouble.” 

Even as much as seniors eagerly await their next journey, there’s a few things they’ll miss.

“For this being my last year in high school, it hasn’t really hit me at all, there will be lots of memories that I know I will miss,” Seely said. “There’s lots of things I’m going to miss with this being my last year here. I’m going to miss the security team for one, but I’m going to miss Keith the most.”

“…I’ll definitely miss having money while i’m in high school,” Bradley said.

“There isn’t really anything I am going to miss about this school,” senior Xavier Roberson said.