Spanish teacher offers extra credit to those looking to boost grade

Nik Shay, Design Team

Spanish teacher Sabrina Garding sees extra credit as an opportunity to help those who deserve it.

I give out extra credit because there are always students who do their very best, and possibly do every single assignment, but don’t have the grade that they want,” Garding said.

“Extra credit gives them an opportunity to achieve their desired grades, and learn a little bit more about Spanish and the cultures that speak Spanish. I always had teachers who would give extra credit, but the reason that I give extra credit is that I see kids working so hard to get a grade and not reaching it for a variety of reasons. They need just a little bit to get what they have worked so hard to earn.”

No surprise, with the end of the school year nearing, some students are starting to scramble for their last-minute grades. 

Extra credit has been more important for some students who have struggled in an unconventional year.

Because of how unprecedented this year has been, Garding changed up her curriculum.

My class has been a little bit different this year because we can’t share (art) supplies and students aren’t turning in physical work. They’re all using Canvas to submit an image of their work,” Garding wrote in an email, “Every activity or resource is on Canvas this year. Last year, it was a way to access the online textbook. This year, it is where lessons, homework, videos, links and packets are located.”

Online students in Garding’s classes also have the opportunity to participate. 

“We don’t have as many physical games or times at the board this year, we do everything on the computer, and use Google Docs and Google Slides a lot. This allows the remote students in my synchronous classes the opportunity to participate,” Garding said.